Thursday, September 3, 2009

I don't have time for that?

People do business with people they know.

Networking is relationship building. It's how you get to know people. Do you have a rapport with them? Do you trust them? Do they know you? Do they care about your interests or are you just a quick sale?

Recently a Chamber staff member was asked to help a prospective member make contacts with his target audience. They weren’t really thinking about being a Chamber member, but they wanted the advantage of the Chamber’s credibility and connections.

Reenactment

Chamber staff: “Would you like to come to a BOB as my guest and I’ll introduce you to some of our members and you can check out the value of our Chamber before you become a member.”

“I don’t have time for that. I don’t want to be a member. I just want you to introduce me to my prospects.”

“We’re a membership organization. I’d be happy to make introductions, but you need to be a member. And the best way to make connections is to participate in networking events so people get to know you.”

“I don’t want to be a member. I don’t have time for that. I just want to get to my target audience. Networking events aren’t made up 100% of my target audience.”

“Do you understand that other Chamber members can be strategic referral partners and getting to know them will help you reach your target audience?”

“I don’t have time for that!”

This is such a rare sales personality type in our interactions with Chamber members and prospective members that we were a little taken aback.

Clearly this person feels they don’t have time to invest in a relationship. They only want the sale. If you don’t have time for the relationship, do you have time for good customer service? Will you take shortcuts if I contract with you, because you don’ t have time?

Well . . . good luck with that.

Our research shows us that, especially in today’s economy, people do business with people they know. People they trust.

I’m sure that when you think about the people you refer and the people you do business with, you’ll agree, that knowing them, trusting them, staying in regular communication with them, increases your opportunity for business.

No comments:

Post a Comment